Recipe by alligirl
This recipe was printed in my local paper, The Virginian-Pilot on September 30, 2009. This cookie won 1st Place in the sugar cookie category at the 2009 Virginia State Fair. It was submitted by Danhof VanDyke of Eastville, Virginia. ***Adapted from “All Time Baking Soda Favorites”
Top Review by Chef Learnee
Excellent cookies! I was looking for a sugar cookie I could bake and decorate for Halloween and came across these. As I used butter with salt already in it I cut down the salt to 1/4 tsp. I increased the vanilla to 2 tsp. I also refrigerated the dough as I didn't have time to bake them the same day. Because they were cold the cooking time was increased to around 9 minutes. These taste like a cross between the best sugar cookies and expensive shortbread...and I haven't even frosted them yet! Thanks so much for sharing this tasty treat!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- extra sugar, for flattening cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Add flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Blend in milk.
- Drop by teaspoon about 3 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with bottom of glass that has been dipped in sugar (I do this twice).
- Bake in 350-degree oven about 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on rack.