This recipe was printed in my local paper, The Virginian-Pilot on September 30, 2009. This cookie won 1st Place in the sugar cookie category at the 2009 Virginia State Fair. It was submitted by Danhof VanDyke of Eastville, Virginia. ***Adapted from “All Time Baking Soda Favorites”
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Add flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Blend in milk.
- Drop by teaspoon about 3 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with bottom of glass that has been dipped in sugar (I do this twice).
- Bake in 350-degree oven about 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on rack.
I have made these cookies twice, the first time I used the amount of salt specified and thought the cookies ended up tasting salty - so I made them again with half the amount and that seemed to just right. I liked that these could be made in a hurry!
It's understandable why this cookie was a 1st place winner. It bakes up perfectly. The cookie is firm, but delicate. I made the dough, refrigerated it for 1.5 days, let it come to room temperature & baked it off. Instead of dropping by a teaspoon, I divided the dough & made 60 balls, which I flattened with the glass dipped in sugar. They came out uniform & perfect in every way. Thank you alligirl for a sugar cookie recipe that is easy to make & a keeper! Made for Everyday Holiday Tag-Dec'09.
Excellent cookies! I was looking for a sugar cookie I could bake and decorate for Halloween and came across these. As I used butter with salt already in it I cut down the salt to 1/4 tsp. I increased the vanilla to 2 tsp. I also refrigerated the dough as I didn't have time to bake them the same day. Because they were cold the cooking time was increased to around 9 minutes. These taste like a cross between the best sugar cookies and expensive shortbread...and I haven't even frosted them yet! Thanks so much for sharing this tasty treat!