Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. These doughnuts are light and fluffy. The doughnuts are great for breakfast or as a snack anytime.
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- cooking oil, for deep-fat frying
- additional sugar (optional) or confectioners' sugar (optional)
- In a bowl, combine potatoes, sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir into potato mixture.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep fat fryer to 375°F
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, 5 to 6 at a time, into hot oil.
- Fry for 1 minute per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in sugar if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 to 3 ½ dozen.
- Taste of Home.
I got 36 of these little delights...The first load from the fryer I coated in sugar as suggested...From then on out it was cinnamon/sugar in a bag, all the way...Thanks for a quick, easy recipe...