Recipe by canarygirl
My mother-in-law is famous for her stuffed zucchini, and now I have the pleasure to share the recipe with all of you.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
I thought these were amazing! Delicious and impressive looking. I used ground beef and can't wait to try it with other meats as well. I used one small jar of chopped roasted peppers, drained,and thought it was the just right amount (about 1/2 cup). The flavors all blended very nicely. Be sure to add enough salt and pepper - I was pretty lighthanded with the seasonings and next time with be more generous, but that is no fault of the recipe. I will definitely make this one for guests if I know they are zucchini fans. Great recipe!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 thyme, sprigs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef (or chicken, turkey, fish, 1 can of tuna, or other veggies...you get the idea)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices cheese (any kind really, we use Gouda or Gruyere, though this really is a matter of personal preference)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash zucchini, and put in a pot of cold water (do not remove ends).
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, maybe a little longer depending on the size of your zucchini.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a fairly large skillet.
- Saute garlic first, then add onions, green pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- When the veggies begin to soften, add ground meat (or whatever you are using), season with salt and pepper, and brown until cooked through.
- Drain off any excess grease.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- When the zucchini have cooked through, remove from water, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Slice cooled zucchini lengthwise, and scoop out center, leaving a little veggie flesh to form a"boat.
- "Mix ground meat mixture with the red peppers, and the scooped out zucchini (chopped), and the egg.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the mixture, and top each with a slice of cheese.
- Bake in a 375ºF oven for 20-30 minutes, until heated through, and cheese begins to bubble and brown.
- Serve hot.
- Note: If making this dish with tuna or fish, I like to add a little mayo or garlic mayo, and substitute the raw egg for a hard boiled and chopped one.