1/5 Photos of Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini
My mother-in-law is famous for her stuffed zucchini, and now I have the pleasure to share the recipe with all of you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 thyme, sprigs
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 lb ground beef (or chicken, turkey, fish, 1 can of tuna, or other veggies...you get the idea)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices cheese (any kind really, we use Gouda or Gruyere, though this really is a matter of personal preference)
- 1Wash zucchini, and put in a pot of cold water (do not remove ends).
- 2Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, maybe a little longer depending on the size of your zucchini.
- 3Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a fairly large skillet.
- 4Saute garlic first, then add onions, green pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- 5When the veggies begin to soften, add ground meat (or whatever you are using), season with salt and pepper, and brown until cooked through.
- 6Drain off any excess grease.
- 7Set aside to cool slightly.
- 8When the zucchini have cooked through, remove from water, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- 9Slice cooled zucchini lengthwise, and scoop out center, leaving a little veggie flesh to form a"boat.
- 10"Mix ground meat mixture with the red peppers, and the scooped out zucchini (chopped), and the egg.
- 11Fill the zucchini boats with the mixture, and top each with a slice of cheese.
- 12Bake in a 375ºF oven for 20-30 minutes, until heated through, and cheese begins to bubble and brown.
- 13Serve hot.
- 14Note: If making this dish with tuna or fish, I like to add a little mayo or garlic mayo, and substitute the raw egg for a hard boiled and chopped one.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.9
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 177.0 mg
- Sodium 1868.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 43.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: