1/1 Photo of Droog’s Diabetic Dog Food With Vitamin Therapy
Please refrain from commenting unless you have read the directions and full intent of the recipe and have a firm grasp of canine diabetes and insulin dependent dogs. COMMENT on COMMENTS: This mixture is ADDED to prescription dog food diet as stated in the directions. It is not meant to replace dog food. It was developed by our VETERINARIAN and NUTRITIONIST as an additive to the prescription food that is not specifically formulated for a diabetic. It makes NUMEROUS servings - it is not meant for a whole meal!!!!!! Your dog has been diagnosed with diabetes; you are scared, frustrated and overwhelmed. I can relate. If your faithful pet has been in the hospital with Ketoacidosis and has just returned home you may find yourself frantic as your pet refuses to eat. The refusal to eat is normal, they just don't feel good. If you cannot get your pet to eat please DO NOT administer insulin. Your pet needs to be enticed to eat, try feeding from your hand. The prescription food may be another problem. Pets usually hate it and it really is not the healthiest food. Follow the guidelines below (along with your vet) to come up with a meal and vitamin therapy plan to fit your dog’s new needs. The vitamins mentioned are particularly needed for diabetics, there are certainly more vitamins than listed in the food source. This meal plan was designed by a NUTRITIONIST and VETERINARIAN for a 90 pound DIABETIC dog, if your dog is smaller you will have to decrease the vitamins and food allotment by weight. Feel free to zmail me with any questions or for more information. This meal plan is designed for dogs RECEIVING INSULIN along with its meals TWICE a day. My dog’s insulin requirements drastically reduced and he is active, beautiful, happy and healthy! Please check blood regularly when switching as you pets insulin requirements may drop as well. Good Luck! You can do it! We are on year three!!! *********** UPDATE: Sadly, Droog went to the rainbow bridge this year. He lived with diabetes for the last four years of his life and left us 4 days before his 16th birthday. Droog was a Chocolate Lab whose smile could light up a room and had an amazing propensity to heal heartache. We miss him very much, but diabetes did not end his life, age did... and he lived a full and happy life and touched the hearts of many.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups Kashi, Cooked (source of Chromium, B6, B1, Magnesium)
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- 4 cups beef, cubed (Selenium, B6, B12, Manganese, Vanadium, alpha-lipoic acid, Carnitine)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (significant blood sugar-lowering action as well as lowering lipids, inhibiting platelet aggregation,)
- 1 -2 cup liver, sliced (the best sources of niacin, major source of A, Manganese, Biotin)
- 1 -2 hard-boiled egg, chopped (B1, Biotin)
- 2 cups spinach, chopped (source of Chromium, B6, Manganese, Magnesium, alpha-lipoic acid)
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped (C, alpha-lipoic acid)
Add to One Serving
- 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon cold press wheat germ oil (Best source of E, reduces the risks for developing diabetic retinopathy or nephropathy, Magnesium)
- 1 teaspoon brewer's yeast (alpha-lipoic acid)
- 1 -1 1/2 cup prescription dog food
- 1/2 cup homemade low sodium chicken broth
- 1Place Beef, Liver, Garlic, broccoli, green beans, spinach and water in a baking dish and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until beef is just barely pink in the center. Put pan juices in a jar and save for pouring on top of food.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine the above mixture with the cooked Kashi, Barley and hard boiled egg; put in container with lid and store in refrigerator.
- 3Mix 1/2 - 3/4 cup of heated mixture with 1 1/2 cups of Prescription dog food; spoon in pumpkin and vitamins (my dog will eat the vitamins without breaking or mashing)- (1 Opti-All tablet (Nutrition for the Eyes of Diabetics),1 B Complex with B12,1 B5,1 B6-pyridoxine alpha-ketoglutarate (improves glucose tolerance dramatically), 1Flax Seed & Cod liver Oil Supplement without PABA (source of D, Selenium, B1, Vanadium), 1 50mg Chromium Picolinate(plays a role in the management of diabetes)and 1/2 Scoop Nutro vitamin supplement and pour chicken broth over mixture and serve to your faithful friend.
- 4Your pet should surprise you and readily eat all that is offered; This recipe saved my sanity and my dog’s health!; Your dog should be looking good and back to his old self in a few weeks (considering if you have him or her regulated); Good Luck!
- 5If your dog is smaller divide his weight by 90 for correct amounts.
- 6Water from a can of tuna can also be used over the top of the food as an enticement.
Browse Our Top Pet Food Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pet Food Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Droog’s Diabetic Dog Food With Vitamin Therapy
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 55.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 29.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: