Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A jelly roll w/a delicious filling. The filling is much creamier if made w/an electric mixer. From "Classic Scandinavian Cooking" by Nika Hazelton.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa (preferably Dutch type)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa (preferably Dutch type)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum or 3 tablespoons cognac
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Combine eggs, water and vanilla and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Add granulated sugar gradually (1 tbsp at a time) and beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Slowly sift flour mixture into egg mixture and fold in carefully, but thoroughly.
- Grease a 15x10 in jelly-roll pan and line w/waxed paper. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake 30 minutes or till cake tests done. Touch cake lightly w/fingertip. If the dough springs back quickly, the cake is done.
- Sprinkle a kitchen towel heavily with confectioner's sugar . Turn cake onto kitchen towel and peel off waxed paper. Trim off any crisp edges. Roll warm cake lengthwise in towel into a roll. Cool on rack, seam side down.
- Filling - Cream butter with egg yolk and cocoa. Beat in sugar gradually, alternating w/rum. Keep at room temp for spreading.
- Cake Assembly - Unroll cake and spread with filling. Reroll and refrigerate till serving time.
This is excellent! I will definitely make this again. It is a "dream" cake!