Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
This shortbread-like cookie is made unique by the cardomom spice.
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- 36 whole almonds (optional)
- Melt butter over low heat, without stirring, until brown about 30 minutes.
- Place butter in pan over a bowl of cold water until firm.
- about 90 minutes.
- Remove butter to mixing bowl, add sugar, baking powder, vanilla (or almond) and cardomom, and blend thoroughly.
- Slowly add flour.
- batter will be very stiff.
- If you must, add a few drops of water to enable mixing.
- Roll into 1" balls (mixture is crumbly but molds easily).
- Top with whole almonds, if desired.
- Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
I made these last year as Chrismas cookies and gave them as gifts... everyone loved them!