Recipe by Seattle Wes
This pizza sauce recipe came from a recipe in the Pasadena Weekly entitled Mock DiFara's Pizza Pie.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and herbs and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until tender.
- Add tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and crushing tomatoes with a spoon. Thicken sauce by returning to a boil and stirring for the last 5 minutes, allowing excess liquid to be reduced. Serve as is, or pass through a food mill or blender for a smoother sauce.