Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is for pomodorini, or cherry tomatoes, to be used in sauces, pastas and pizzas. It's not a dish in itself, but an ingredient for other dishes. If you don't have access to sweet cherry tomatoes, use romas or a meaty-type tomato. These should be softer and moister than tomatoes sun-dried or dried in a food dehydrator.
- 2 lbs fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 baking sheet
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Place them cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven overnight with the pilot light on.
- Alternatively, heat oven to lowest setting.
- Place tomatoes on baking sheet in oven for approximately 3 hours, or until dry.
- For Romas or other types of tomato:.
- Slice very thinly and place on clean towels or paper towels to drain.
- After the slices have stopped juicing, treat them just as for cherry tomatoes.