Makes the equivalent of 3 (1.25 ounce) packages of soup mix. I picked this recipe up from our County Extension office. This is a low sodium recipe which contains 5.7mg of sodium compared to 3560.0mg of sodium from a store bought 1.25 ounce packet.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Place in a storage container with a tight-fitting lid and seal tightly.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Stir or shake well before each use.
- Measure about 1/3 cup dry mix to use as a substitute for one 1.25-ounce package of purchased dry onion soup mix.
I never buy onion soup mix, but there are times a recipe I want to make calls for it. How wonderful to have this recipe! I always have these ingredients on hand. And it's so much better to be able to control the salt in the recipe myself. I'm not sure why the sugar, but it works, and that's the main thing. Thanks for posting. Made for 1-2-3 Hits Tag.
This is a great recipe. Since DH has to watch the sodium intake, I can't buy dried onion soup mix. Thanks Charlotte :) Made for cookbook tag game
Thanks, Charlotte, for posting this easy and very good substitute for Lipton's chemically enhanced mix. I made Roasted Pork Tenderloin With Apple Chutney with this and it worked beautifully!