Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried morel, crushed (or other mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup canned milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt & pepper
- to taste savor salt seasoning
- Saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Crush morels or other mushrooms with rolling pin, set aside.
- Stir the flour into the onion-celery mixture, add the water and crushed mushrooms. Simmer until the mushrooms are tender, (about 5 minutes).
- Add bouillon, milk and seasonings. Heat, but do not boil, and serve.
I give this a five for the idea. I wanted to make mushroom soup and only had dried mushrooms. I had chicken stock on hand, so I boiled the dried (shiitake) mushrooms, celery and minced onion in the broth for about ten minutes. I added salt, pepper, a little ground thyme and cayenne and a splash of red wine vinegar. Then I put it in my vitamix and pureed the batch. This step let me skip the flour. I poured it all back into the pan, added about 1/2 cup of heavy cream and voila! Yummy mushroom soup!
French Tart is right....this is a delicious soup and very easy to make. I did make some changes. I used cooked barley, sauteed garlic, 1 % milk and a dash of Kitchen Bouquet for colour and extra flavour. It was very filling and excellent the next day as well.
DELICIOUS! I made this with French dried ceps and this was rich and intense. I used full fat fresh milk in place of the canned milk and I also added 1 clove of French garlic for a little extra flavour. I cannot believe that this recipe has NEVER been reviewed yet - what a pity! Made for the soup, sandwich, salad and starter Photo Tag event in the photos forum. Thanks Dancer! FT:-)