Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
What can I say -- This is just a nice, homey kind of dessert that is great hot or cooled!
For the filling
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup dried plum, cut into halves
- 1 cup dried apricot, cut into halves
- 1 cup dried pears, cut into quarters
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
For the pastry
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk, cold
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, & grease a 9" square baking dish.
- Place all the fruits, plus the water, sugar, lemon juice & allspice in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium & cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover & set aside.
- For the pastry, cream together by hand, the sugar & soft butter.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder & salt, then add this mixture, alternately with the cold milk, to the butter mixture.
- Spread the batter in the greased baking dish & spoon the hot fruit & its liquid over the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake tests done.
Very quick to make. Nice combination of dried fruits. I used everything, except sub. cherries for the plums. I think I would use a little more lemon juice next time. This would taste great over vanilla ice cream or plain yogurt!