Prep 7 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A lovely Mediterranean recipe often used to break the daily fast during the month of Ramadan. Can be prepared in advance.
- 1 lb dried apricot
- 1 1⁄2 cups prunes (stoned)
- 1 cup blanched almond, halved (optional)
- 1 1⁄3 cups raisins or 1 1⁄3 cups sultanas
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rose water or 2 tablespoons orange flower water
- Wash and dry fruit.
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Stir and refrigerate for 1-2 days, serve chilled.
I let the fruits soak for a time in a rose water/water mix as it was really over dry and needed the moisture back. Then I used only 2 Tbsp of Splenda for the sugar which, for me, was plenty of sweetness as these fruits are already quite sweet on their own. I also added a very light bit of dried mint and I think that made it just right in taste. Made for The Lands of Figs and Apricots Tag in the Middle East/North Africa forum.
Although not out to break any fast, I did make this with the indicated ingredients, including the almonds, dark raisins, pistachios & rose water! We do enjoy dried fruits (as well as ones that are fresh or frozen!) so this was well-received at the table! Loved the combo of fruity flavors! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]