Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Served as a dessert or for breakfast, this healthy combination tastes great hot or cold. Choose any fruit juice you like. To save time and effort, you can use plain or pre-flavored yogurt and a packaged mixture of dried fruit.
- 8 ounces dried figs
- 8 ounces pitted prunes
- 8 ounces dried apricots
- 4 ounces dried apples
- 2 1⁄2 ounces sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt (natural)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- Combine fruit, almonds, cinnamon, sugar and juice in medium saucepan over high heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit is softened and fragrant, about 10 minutes Meanwhile, place couscous in heat resistant bowl and pour in 1 cup boiling water.
- Add butter and stir briefly to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap 3 minutes.
- Gently stir mixture with fork until grains are separated and lightly fluffed.
- Combine yogurt, honey and nutmeg in small bowl and mix well.
- To serve, divide couscous among 4 deep bowls.
- Top with fruit mixture, pour some yogurt onto each serving and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
I have made this a number of times and it is very yummy. I served it at a luncheon for my friends and everyone raved. It is a bit sweet, so I used half the honey for the yogurt, but all else was as written.