Prep 12 hrs
Cook 72 hrs
Make and share this Dried Figs recipe from Food.com.
- Place figs in 1 quart of water in which salt has been dissolved.
- Let stand overnight. Drain.
- Make a syrup of the sugar and 1 pint water.
- Add figs and cook gently until the syrup is m ostly absorbed.
- While cooking, watch carefully! Do not stir, but lift kettle and shake figs.
- Put on plates and turn daily until dry.
- Pack in powdered sugar.
I had trouble with this one. Even though I'd soaked the figs in the salt water, they continued to release juices when I cooked them in the sugar syrup. Had to stop cooking when the skins burst on some of them. Tried to dry out the rest on a rack over a plate, but they were moldy after 2 days. Where did I go wrong? Comments appreciated.