This wonderful fall recipe was crafted by cookbook author Susan Herrmann Loomis, who is well known for teaching cooking classes in her home in Normandy…“On Rue Tatin.” Its dense texture is perfect for serving with an aperitif before your guests sit down for dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mounded fine sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 10 dried figs, coarsely chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon mounded fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Butter an 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ loaf pan, or 4 small loaf pans.
- 3Line with buttered parchment paper, dust lightly with flour.
- 4Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- 5In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the eggs until they are combined, then slowly whisk in the dry ingredients.
- 6Stir in the melted butter until it is thoroughly blended, then fold in the figs, cheese, hazelnuts and pepper, making sure they are well distributed throughout the batter.
- 7Pour the batter into the prepared pan or pans and rap it sharply on a work surface to release any air bubbles.
- 8Bake in the center of the oven until the top of the bread is golden, and a tester stuck in the center comes out clean.(40 to 45 minutes for a single loaf, 30 to 35 minutes for smaller loaves.).
- 9Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out onto a wire cooling rack. After about 5 minutes, peel off the parchment paper.
- 10Let cool and serve.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dried Fig and Hazelnut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (991 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3471.5
- Calories from Fat 2119
- Total Fat 235.4 g
- Saturated Fat 111.9 g
- Cholesterol 1750.8 mg
- Sodium 4585.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 214.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.0 g
- Sugars 46.8 g
- Protein 135.4 g