Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from the cookbook More Muffins. It's great in the fall with your coffee!
- 473.18 ml flour
- 158.51 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk, room temperature
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 177.44 ml dried cranberries
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- Preheat oven to 400º. Butter twelve muffin cups and edges surrounding the cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, and orange peel. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture and stir just to combine. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan to wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container at room temperature.
Yummy! Moist and not-too-sweet! If you want as a dessert, you may want to increase sugar, but it is a great complement to a cup of coffee. I substituted orange extract for the vanilla and used dried orange peel instead of fresh zest -- also did not have buttermilk, so substituted 1 TBSP white vinegar and milk to make a cup. . . made mine with pecans. Note that they "looked" done (lightly browned) at 15 minutes, so the toothpick test is necessary -- they were still batter in the middle. . . ended up with 20 minutes.
I made this recipe today. I used orange juice and milk to the amount needed. I boiled the cranberries in orange juice. I also used white sugar and not brown. I would add more zest next time and decrease the baking soda just a bit. Nice and moist muffin.
My muffins turned out OK. I used 3/4 cup brown sugar like suggested in other reviews and soaked my dried cranberries. It turned out a bit too sweet and the cranberries lost a lot of flavor (probably in soaking). The muffins taste like orange sweet bread. Since I did not follow the recipe as posted, I still gave it 4 stars because I think I'd like it better if I did not make the changes.