Recipe by Lvs2Cook
This recipe came from the cookbook More Muffins. It's great in the fall with your coffee!
Top Review by beckysu92901
Yummy! Moist and not-too-sweet! If you want as a dessert, you may want to increase sugar, but it is a great complement to a cup of coffee. I substituted orange extract for the vanilla and used dried orange peel instead of fresh zest -- also did not have buttermilk, so substituted 1 TBSP white vinegar and milk to make a cup. . . made mine with pecans. Note that they "looked" done (lightly browned) at 15 minutes, so the toothpick test is necessary -- they were still batter in the middle. . . ended up with 20 minutes.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 158.51 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk, room temperature
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 177.44 ml dried cranberries
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400º. Butter twelve muffin cups and edges surrounding the cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, and orange peel. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture and stir just to combine. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan to wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container at room temperature.