Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from the cookbook More Muffins. It's great in the fall with your coffee!
Make and share this Dried Cranberry and Orange Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 400º. Butter twelve muffin cups and edges surrounding the cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, and orange peel. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture and stir just to combine. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan to wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container at room temperature.
Yummy! Moist and not-too-sweet! If you want as a dessert, you may want to increase sugar, but it is a great complement to a cup of coffee. I substituted orange extract for the vanilla and used dried orange peel instead of fresh zest -- also did not have buttermilk, so substituted 1 TBSP white vinegar and milk to make a cup. . . made mine with pecans. Note that they "looked" done (lightly browned) at 15 minutes, so the toothpick test is necessary -- they were still batter in the middle. . . ended up with 20 minutes.
I made this recipe today. I used orange juice and milk to the amount needed. I boiled the cranberries in orange juice. I also used white sugar and not brown. I would add more zest next time and decrease the baking soda just a bit. Nice and moist muffin.
My muffins turned out OK. I used 3/4 cup brown sugar like suggested in other reviews and soaked my dried cranberries. It turned out a bit too sweet and the cranberries lost a lot of flavor (probably in soaking). The muffins taste like orange sweet bread. Since I did not follow the recipe as posted, I still gave it 4 stars because I think I'd like it better if I did not make the changes.