Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A recipe of my girlfriends, made at her house for a Christmas dinner a few years back...an excellent recipe for a stuffing, that is prepared to cook inside the turkey. Note cooking time depends on how long the turkey is cooked, I imagine that you could bake this outside the turkey also too. This recipe can be doubled if desired.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 4 -5 cups diced bread
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (more if needed)
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 ounces fresh sage, chopped fine
- 2 ounces fresh thyme, chopped fine (or 1-2 tsp dried, or to taste)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, to taste (1 cup measured after chopping)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (can use more)
- 1 eggs or 1 egg white
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frypan, melt butter, saute onion and garlic until soft (not brown), about 5 minutes.
- Add in the bread cubes and herbs, stirring to combine.
- Stir in apples, wine, stock, pecans, cranberries and parsley (if the mixture seems too dry add in just a bit more stock, not too much!).
- Cool to almost room temperature.
- Add in egg or egg whites.
- Season well with salt and lots of pepper.
- Stuff into the turkey.