Recipe by mersaydees
From Tommy Tang's Modern Thai Cuisine. About this dish he says, "Simple to prepare when you're pressed for time but don't want to settle for the ordinary. I find something energizing about this dish -- but then I like it when my ears start smoking." Me, too! Try Lemon Grass Stock with this.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
I used fewer chilis -- about 8 scaled up -- and still found this to be a fiery dish. It came together quickly and used less oil than stated. I really liked the sauce but felt some of the subtlety was lost in the heat.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 cup unsalted cashews, roasted
- 12 small chilies, dried whole
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili paste, roasted
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup lemon grass stock (see separate recipe for lemon grass stock) or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (see separate recipe for lemon grass stock)
- 1 tablespoon thai sweet black bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add garlic and saute until lightly browned, approximately 1 minute.
- Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add cashews, dried chilies, and chili paste and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.