Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Combine the cherries and buttermilk in a small bowl, and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick spray or line them with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a measuring cup, combine the egg substitute, applesauce and almond extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and spoon the buttermilk and cherries into it.
- Then add the egg-substitute mixture.
- Mix until thoroughly blended, but do not overmix.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full with batter, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top springs back when touched lightly with a fingertip.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
This has definitely become my favorite muffin recipe. It is incredibly versatile--you can sub any fresh fruit for the cherries (just skip the soaking step) and they always turn out so so good. I try to add different spices depending on the fruit, too: vanilla for blueberry or strawberry, cinnamon for apple, etc. I always feel like I am getting away with something when I make these because they are healthy but so yummy!