Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- additional sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon peel, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter, using pastry blender, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in enough buttermilk so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.
- Stir in cherries.
- Onto a greased cookie sheet, drop dough by about 1/3 cupfuls about 1 inch apart.
- Brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- Serve warm or cool.