Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- Saute bacon in large frying pan until fat is rendered, but the bacon is not quite crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; chop when cool.
- Remove excess fat from pan (or substitute cooking oil or margarine for a lighter version) and saute vegetables until soft.
- Add apples, cherries and herbs and toss briefly over medium heat.
- Mix vegetables, bacon and breads together in a large bowl and add enough water or stock to moisten and bind all of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a well-buttered baking dish, cover and bake in 325-degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Leave uncovered for last 10 minutes to brown slightly.
- Note: 1 cup toasted pecans can be added to this stuffing for an added Southern accent.
- Add with the apples, cherries and herbs.
- A 16 ounce bag of stuffing bread crumbs equals 3 cs.