Recipe by noway
Unique picnic side dish. I've made this several times when bringing a side dish to summer barbecues. Every time, there's at least one person that asks me for the recipe. The original recipe also calls for 1 cup chopped onions, but I leave this out.
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups dried tart cherries
- 2 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toasted slivered almonds, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth or water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in couscous.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir with a fork until all grains are fluffy.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked couscous, dried cherries, carrots, and cucumber.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, and mustard, mix well.
- Pour over couscous mixture and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.