1 hr 5 mins
These dessert packages are fun to make and a clever way to serve strudel. Try either tart dried cherries or the sweeter dried Bing - both available at specialty foods stores and most supermarkets. Prep time does NOT include standing tie to re-hydrate cherries. Taken from professional-cooking.com for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place cherries in small bowl. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over.
- 2Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Pat cherries dry with paper towels.
- 4Mix cherries, nuts and jam in medium bowl.
- 5Lightly oil heavy medium baking sheet.
- 6Stack phyllo sheets on work surface.
- 7Trim to 10-inch square (save scraps for another use). Cover stack with plastic and damp kitchen towel.
- 8Place 1 phyllo square on work surface. Brush lightly with butter.
- 9Arrange another phyllo square atop, with corners at a slight angle. Brush lightly with butter.
- 10Repeat with 2 more squares, arranging corners at slight angle.
- 11Spoon 1/4 cup cherry mixture in center of phyllo stack.
- 12edges of phyllo and bring together around filling, forming bundle.
- 13With string, tie bundle just above filling. Place on prepared sheet.
- 14Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling, forming total of 6 bundles.
- 15Brush outside of filled portion (but not tops) of each bundle with butter. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover carefully and chill.).
- 16Preheat oven to 325°F
- 17Bake until phyllo is golden about 35 minutes.
- 18Transfer sheet to rack and cool. Carefully cut string from each bundle.
- 19Sift powdered sugar over bundles and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dried Cherry and Walnut Strudel Bundles
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.1
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 377.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: