Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living. Per serving: 394 calories, 8 g fat, 13.3 g protein, 66 g carb, 7.7 g fiber, 7.5 mg cholesterol.
Top Review by Shire Born
I love this recipe, it's a family staple! I was actually going to post it myself, but you've done all the work for me! The only changes I make are: I like a really creamy oatmeal, so I use 4 cups milk to 2 cups water; I frequently use raisins or cranberries instead of cherries, all depends on what I have in the house; and I often use pure maple syrup instead of brown sugar. Thanks, ratherbeswimmin, for a wonderful recipe that I'm about to serve right now!
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups whole oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil; lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons brown sugar and the next 3 ingredients.
- Spoon 1 cup of oatmeal into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with pecans and the remaining brown sugar.
- Serve immediately.