Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
An early moring sunrise with a cup of tea and a dried cherry and almond scone starts the moring off right.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Prehear oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Mix the egg and egg white together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add canola oil, splenda granular, buttermilk, almond extract and nonfat dry milk.
- Stir well.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and flour.
- Mix until just blended.
- Add dried cherries and stir until blended.
- Spoon 12 evenly sized mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly sprinkle with sugar, if using.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Best if served while still warm.
- Scones freeze well and can be microwaved.
These are really light and tasty. Personal preference would be more almond extract, though. Easy to make, since you don't have to cut butter into flour and knead and shape. This is more of a thick batter dropped onto baking sheet. Went great with morning coffee. And MUCH healthier than regular scones. Instead of sugar on tops, I added some sliced almonds. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.