My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup dried navy beans or 1/4 cup lima beans
- 1/4 cup dried red kidney beans or 1/4 cup pinto beans
- 1/4 cup dried whole peas or 1/4 cup dried split peas
- 3 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Combine all ingredients in a plastic bag or an airtight container; store, tightly sealed, until needed.
- 2BASIC BEAN SOUP Combine contents of package with 7 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. (Or soak bean mixture in the water overnight in a covered pan.) Do not drain.
- 4Bring beans and liquid to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 5Remove bay leaf. Season to taste.
- 6MEATY BEAN SOUP Follow basic recipe through the soaking step. Add 1 3/4-1 pound smoked pork hock or beef shank crosscuts. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 7Cover and simmer 1 hour for pork hocks or 1-1/2 hour for beef shanks.
- 8Remove meat, chop coarsely and return to soup.
- 9Remove bay leaf. Add 1 16-oz. can tomatoes, cut up and undrained. Add one medium carrot, chopped.
- 10Cover and simmer for 30 more minutes. Season to taste. Makes 4-6 servings.
- 11SPICY BEAN POT Follow basic recipe but reduce water to 5-1/2 cups. Remove bay leaf.
- 12Brown 1/2 pound ground beef and drain off fat. Add 1 teaspoons chili powder and cook 1 minute. Add to bean soup along with 1 10-oz. can Rotel.
- 13Heat through, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Serve in tortilla bowls or with corn chips. Garnish with jalapenos, if desired. Makes 6-8 main-dish servings.
- 14CHEESY BEAN SOUP Follow basic recipe through the soaking step, except reduce water to 4 cups. Remove bay leaf. Mash beans slightly. Add 2 cups milk and 1 6-oz. link cheese food or smoked cheese food. Cook and stir until beans are soft. Makes 4-6 main dish servings.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dried Bean Soup Mix
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.6
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried celery flakes