Recipe by Oolala
Called apricot rice bake in Cooking Light Cookbook, 1989. Sounds good to me but here for safe keeping as I haven't tried it yet. 127 calories per 1/2 cup. Recipe yields 8 servings
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup dried prune, pitted, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons blanched almonds, toasted, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat large non-stick skillet with cooking spray; add margarine and place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add rice and onion and saute until rice is browned and onion is tender.
- Spoon this mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole or oven-proof dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Add diced apricots and prunes, mixing well.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet combine water, bouillon granules, and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Pour the water mixture over the rice mixture in the casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with almonds.