Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've been making this comfort food forever, and it's DH's favorite. I especially like the creamy gravy over rice or mashed potatoes. If you want a stroganoff-like gravy, stir in 8 ounces of sour cream at the last minute, and serve over wide noodles!
- 1 lb cubed venison
- 1 package dry lipton onion and mushroom soup mix
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced or diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained or 2 ounces dried mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Spray cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat on high.
- Cut cubed venison into serving-size pieces.
- Brown venison on each side, about 1 minute.
- In bowl, add 1/2 cup water, wine, bouillon and soup mix.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add soup mixture to skillet, along with onions (and mushrooms if you decide to use them).
- Cover skillet and lower heat to simmer.
- Cook about 30-45 minutes (gravy will thicken).
- Add a little more water if gravy gets too thick before meat is fork-tender.
- GRAVY: When meat is very tender, mix cornstarch with water to make a slurry.
- Pour slurry into hot liquids in skillet, stirring until gravy returns to a boil and is thickened.
- Serve steaks with gravy over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- FOR A STROGANOFF: Stir in 8 ounces sour cream, heat until warm but not boiling.
- Serve over wide noodles.
- Variations: Other seasonings you could add: 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, OR 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
- If you like hot/spicy foods, add 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red peppers.