I've been making this comfort food forever, and it's DH's favorite. I especially like the creamy gravy over rice or mashed potatoes. If you want a stroganoff-like gravy, stir in 8 ounces of sour cream at the last minute, and serve over wide noodles!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cubed venison
- 1 package dry lipton onion and mushroom soup mix
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced or diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained or 2 ounces dried mushrooms (optional)
- 1Spray cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat on high.
- 2Cut cubed venison into serving-size pieces.
- 3Brown venison on each side, about 1 minute.
- 4In bowl, add 1/2 cup water, wine, bouillon and soup mix.
- 5Stir to mix well.
- 6Add soup mixture to skillet, along with onions (and mushrooms if you decide to use them).
- 7Cover skillet and lower heat to simmer.
- 8Cook about 30-45 minutes (gravy will thicken).
- 9Add a little more water if gravy gets too thick before meat is fork-tender.
- 10GRAVY: When meat is very tender, mix cornstarch with water to make a slurry.
- 11Pour slurry into hot liquids in skillet, stirring until gravy returns to a boil and is thickened.
- 12Serve steaks with gravy over steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- 13FOR A STROGANOFF: Stir in 8 ounces sour cream, heat until warm but not boiling.
- 14Serve over wide noodles.
- 15Variations: Other seasonings you could add: 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, OR 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
- 16If you like hot/spicy foods, add 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red peppers.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drew's Venison Steaks and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.1
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 232.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
onion and mushroom soup mix