1/2 Photos of Drew's Spicy Croutons
2 hrs 30 mins
Never throw away dried-out, stale (not molded)bread again! Turn it into delicious croutons to use for salads and low-fat tasty snacks. These cubes can be used in your "stuffing" recipes. BONUS: After the croutons are toasted, save the left-over toasted bread crumbs in the bottom of the baking pan - they are better than store-bought seasoned bread crumbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: You can use any kind of bread (fresh or stale) to make croutons: hamburger or hot dog buns, Italian or French, Multi-grain, Sourdough or dinner rolls.
- 2A great way to use up stale bread.
- 3Just be SURE it doesn't have any MOLD on it.
- 4Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- 5Spray two large baking sheets (with sides) with non-stick cooking spray.
- 6Using serrated knife, cut bread into small or medium cubes.
- 7You can stack several slices and cut them all at one time.
- 8Spread bread cubes evenly on the baking sheets.
- 9Spray them generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- 10Sprinkle the seasonings evenly over the bread cubes.
- 11Spray cubes again with non-stick cooking spray.
- 12Taste a bread cube and add more seasonings to taste.
- 13They should taste very seasoned, as the seasonings mellow somewhat when cooked.
- 14Bake about 45 minutes.
- 15Stir, and continue baking for another 15-60 minutes, stirring occasionally until cubes are lightly browned, dry and crunchy.
- 16Baking time will depend upon the size of cubes and freshness of bread.
- 17Watch during last 30 minutes of cooking, as they can get browned very quickly during the end of cooking time.
- 18Turn oven OFF and let them sit in the oven for another 30 minutes to dry out completely.
- 19Store in gallon sealable plastic bags.
- 20Save some and store at room temperature for use within 2 weeks and freeze the rest for up to 4 months.
- 21Note: If you do not get them completely dry, they will mold if left at room temperature very long.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drew's Spicy Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 171.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: