Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Fantastic tasting bread. Great with corned beef as well as just buttered.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 unbeaten egg (at room temperature)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- In the order listed, place dry ingredients and egg in the bread machine.
- Warm the next set of ingredients and add them.
- Select white bread setting on bread machine and press start.
- Brush top lightly with a little melted butter when machine enters bake cycle if you wish.
- If you don't have a bread machine you can knead by hand let rise and bake in 2 loaf pans.
I'd never made a bread with these ingredients before so I was a little worried. It came out really well though and was soft and tasty. A nice change from the usual.
YUMMY YUMMY BREAD!!! Like a lot of others i also had used dill weed instead of seeds, as i had made a dill bread previously and the seeds were NOT for me. Also, i didnt have any sour cream but did have plain ole yogurt. Seemed to have worked just fine!! No one had previously noted on which pound setting for loaves on the bread machine. Tonight i used the 2lb, and it cooked perfectly and was just beautiful!! Ohhh, also the bread machine i have usually likes liquids first followed by the dry seasonings and smaller dry goods, then flour and lastly the yeast on top. OH, sorry, but one of the reviewers said she wasn't sure how much yeast to use... if you look on the back of the yeast jar it says 2 1/4tsp for 1/4oz pkg. and so on. Thanks a TON for an awesome recipe!!!
This is one of my husband's favorite breads. I've been making this bread for about 15 years now, and it always comes out wonderfully. It is great toasted with butter and makes yummy ham as well as toasted cheese sandwiches. Besides the taste, my favorite thing about this bread is the aroma while both preparing as well as cooking.