Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My young grandson's favorite way to eat oysters. Plain or seasoned breadcrumbs may be used and for those who must have heat adding a little cayenne is fine.
- 1 dozen oyster (on the half shell, freshly shucked)
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to high, about 400-450.
- Over medium heat cook chopped bacon and garlic until lightly done (not crispy). Remove pan from heat, drain off most of the fat and stir in breadcrumbs, parsley and seasoning.
- Place oysters on a rack over a cookie sheet (this will keep them steady, or you can crumple tin foil on a sheet and "settle" the oyster shells into it) ensuring that they are as flat as possible.
- With a fork, add cheese to crumb mix.
- Sprinkle crumb mix over oysters (resist the urge to pat it down), and continue sprinkling until all oysters are covered lightly.
- Depending on the size of your oysters you may have some crumb mix left over. Discard.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes, until golden.
- Serve piping hot.