Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Taken from HGTV and tweaked a bit, this is and easy and versatile salad. New England, Mid Atlantic, Spain, French, Tex/Mex.
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (or red wine,or your favorite herb vinegar)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark mustard
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas (optional) or 1⁄2 cup kidney bean, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, your favorite (basil,oregano, thyme, rosemary,etc.)
- 2 (5 -6 ounce) bags salad greens (approx. 10-12 oz. total)
- 2 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large salad bowl stir together the onion, 3 tablespoons vinegar, some salt and pepper and the mustard. Throw in the beans. Let stand for about 30 minutes while you set the table and prepare for dinner.
- When ready to serve, add the herbs and greens along with 2 tablespoons of oil. Toss, taste and adjust seasoning with more oil, vinegar, salt and/or pepper. Enjoy!
Very good salad that couldn't be easier - opening bags and mixing with fresh garden herbs! For the herbs I used oregano, marjoram, parsley, dill and rosemary - next time I may use less herbs, leaving out the parsley and rosemary. This will also be wonderful for a lunch salad mixed with leftover chicken and/or cheese. Thanks for sharing this keeper!