Recipe by Tara
This is a really good moist stuffing that takes the place of stove top. You can easily make it in a dish for dinner even if you arent making a turkey. Goes great if you want to roast or BBQ a chicken and have stuffing. However it is really good to stuff your bird too. I sometimes add a clove of garlic while sauteeing onion.
- 8 cups soft bread, cut in cubes
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon instant bouillon granules
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter in skillet on medium heat sautee bread til lightly brown, remove from pan add a bit more butter if necessary and sautee onion and celery including leaves.
- Mix in spices, stir and pour over bread, tossing til covered.
- Mix together eggs and milk and pour over bread mixing well.
- Put in greased casserole and dot top with remaining 2 TBS butter.
- Cover and Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, take off cover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Or stuff you bird and bake as usual.