Prep 45 mins
Cook 9 mins
From Southern Living. Extremely good.
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 2 (12 ounce) containersfresh oysters, drained
- peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefinely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 French rolls, split and toasted
- Mix together the cornmeal and creole seasoning in a pie plate; dredge oysters in mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a dutch oven; heat to 375°.
- Fry oysters, in 3 batches, 2-3 minutes or until golden; drain on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard.
- Add in cabbage; toss to combine; set slaw aside.
- Stir together the remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, ketchup, and next 3 ingredients.
- Spread cut sides of rolls w/ mayonnaise mixture.
- Place oysters and slaw on bottom halves of rolls; cover with roll tops.
- Serve immediately.
These were good. I didn't have self raising corn meal so I just added about a tablespoon of baking powder to plain corn meal.
This is a fabulous sandwich for all you oyster lovers! Everyone wanted seconds. Thanks Di.