Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A Dresden Christmas tradition, sliced and eaten with coffee. Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06 Time to cook includes time to rest
- 4 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 ounces yeast
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup candied lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 3⁄4 cups raisins
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Make a soft, pliable yeast dough from the first 6 ingredients and let stand in bowl for 10 minutes.
- Knead the lemon peel, zest, almonds, and rum into the dough.
- When all other ingredients are equally distributed, add the raisins.
- Roll into an oval and place on a greased baking sheet. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Still on baking sheet, wrap dough well in aluminium foil and store in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and take off foil. Sprinkle flour around the loaf to prevent the dough from spreading.
- Place loaf in a pre-heated 350-400° oven and bake 50-60 minutes, till pale gold in color. Remove from oven.
- Brush with melted butter and dust with Confectioner's sugar. Repeat until butter and sugar are used up.
- Stollen should have a thick, white layer.