Recipe by Lostfairy
This cake is usually served on January 6th ("Dreikönigstag" or Epiphany) for breakfast in Switzerland. Who will become king or queen ? Each person takes a piece from the cake. The one with the token will be king or queen of the day and all participants have to fulfill a wish of the king or queen ... Ingredients for a cake of about 25 cm (10 inches) in diameter.
- 750 g white flour
- 75 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 100 g butter
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 30 g yeast
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 2 eggs
- 200 g sultanas
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and lemon in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and add the cold milk.
- Dissolve yeast in water and add two teaspoons of sugar.
- Stir the eggs and add flour mix of 1.
- Knead to a soft dough.
- Add sultanas and the token and distribute them evenly in the dough.
- Tear dough apart and form six or eight pieces the size of a fist. You may form one bigger piece as the center piece of the cake. Arrange the pieces around the center piece as shown in the picture above. Place the cake on a non-stick tray.
- Let grow in a warm place until the size has doubled.
- Let cool for about one hour.
- Before baking, sweep with the yolk of an egg.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes in the lower part of the pre-heated oven at about 225°C (440°F).
- Let cool and add a crown made out of paper or card.