Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A traditional treat from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- Beat eggs well; add milk and salt.
- Sift baking powder and flour together and add liquid mixture gradually, stirring well to make a smooth batter (which should be a little thicker than for pancakes, but not as thick as a drop batter).
- Beat hard until very light.
- Preheat oil or fat in a large pan to 360°F.
- Pour batter into a funnel, holding a spatula under the hole; allow batter to flow from funnel into hot fat, beginning in the center and shaping a circle and gradually increasing circle being careful not to let batter overlap to make a solid cake.
- Fry to a golden brown on one side, turn with a fork when cake rises to top and fry on the other side.
- Serve hot with tart jelly, maple syrup or apple butter.
i loved them they were delicous definetly the best recipe for funnel cakes yet