A traditional treat from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat eggs well; add milk and salt.
- 2Sift baking powder and flour together and add liquid mixture gradually, stirring well to make a smooth batter (which should be a little thicker than for pancakes, but not as thick as a drop batter).
- 3Beat hard until very light.
- 4Preheat oil or fat in a large pan to 360°F.
- 5Pour batter into a funnel, holding a spatula under the hole; allow batter to flow from funnel into hot fat, beginning in the center and shaping a circle and gradually increasing circle being careful not to let batter overlap to make a solid cake.
- 6Fry to a golden brown on one side, turn with a fork when cake rises to top and fry on the other side.
- 7Serve hot with tart jelly, maple syrup or apple butter.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drechter Kucha - Funnel Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.0
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 47.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g