Recipe by Domesticated Drea
These crunchy shrimp have a wonderful taste and the recipe only requires ingredients that most people keep on hand anyway. I also like the fact that it takes about 20 minutes. I recommend getting some white rice going first, to serve with this dish. While the rice is cooking, you can get the shrimp ready.
Top Review by Linz7577
This recipe is great! I have a ton of oranges to use so this recipe was perfect. I actually used fresh squeezed orange juice. I did however make a couple of changes because I did not have all the ingredients on hand. I used polenta instead of cornstarch and I used red pepper flakes instead of the dried peppers. I must say the polenta used as a coating was really good. It gave the shrimp a nice crunch. My husband was very pleased with this dish. He said it was a pleasant surprise. This is something we will be eating again.
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄8 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon sriracha sauce or 1 red chili pepper, minced with seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry off shrimp (especially if just thawed).
- In medium bowl, whisk the egg whites and cornstarch with fork, add sesame seeds, salt, pepper and stir.
- Add shrimp and toss (recipe up to this point can be done 1-2 hours ahead of time).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once pan is hot and oil is shimmery, lay 1/2 shrimp so that they are not touching eachother in single layer on pan and let cook 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp and cook other side two minutes. Remove onto plate lined with paper towel and repeat this step with leftover oil and shrimp.
- Wipe skillet with paper towel if there is oil remaining. Add orange juice and soy sauce and turn up heat to high. Add red pepper (or sriracha) and sugar and boil until reduced by 1/2 (5 minutes).
- Add the shrimp to skillet, coat with sauce and re-heat (1 minute).
- Add green onions to pan, stir, and serve immediately.