Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I always make this a Valentines Day and usually in my heart shaped pans, but it is good year round. I especially like the frosting and have used it for sugar cookies.
- 1 (18 ounce) package2 layer size white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed and divided in half (1/2 for cake 1/2 for frosting) or 1 (10 ounce) boxuse 10 oz fresh berries, sweetened with sugar and set to develop a syrup
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together cake mix, jello, flour, eggs and water in a large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the strawberries including 1/2 the syrup and beat 1 more minute.
- Add the oil and beat 1 more minute.
- Divide batter into 2 greased and floured 8 inch square or 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Make frosting.
- Beat margarine or butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar alternating with the remaining half of the strawberries including the syrup beating until smooth.
- Add vanila and mix well.
- If frosting is too thick thin with a very small amount of milk or cream.
- Frost cooled cake.
My family loved this! I need to adjust though. I made exactly as written, but I too experienced the too thin icing problem, it wouldn't stay on cake. Also I will use a 9 in pan, because the cake rose too high for the 8 in. and I had to cut aroung to frost. But I did get it finished by cutting off excess and refrigerating the icing. I guess next time I will use less syrup in the icing and more in the cake, and use 9 inch pans. I even added more powedered sugar and that still didn't work for me. But this is a great recipe, I will just adjust next time. Thanx for posting.
This cake is so good, tastes like spring! I had too send slices with my daughter to school to give to her teachers to keep me from eating it all. I used fresh strawberries an sprinkled barely a tsp of sugar to make the syrup.
I was at a gathering and there was a DELICIOUS Strawberry Cake there. I asked for the recipe and was told that I could have the recipe, but that she would leave out ONE ingredient, so mine (or anyone else's) would not come out the same as hers. That made me MAD and I was determined to find the recipe and make it. I found this, made it and it was PERFECT! It was the BEST and a BIG HIT at Bunco last night. Goes to show you that you can hide an ingredient, but you can't hide from the fabulous chefs on Recipezaar! Thanks!