1/1 Photo of Dreamy Low-Fat Fettuccine Alfredo
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
It's a shame that alfredo is, for most people an occasional indulgence. Now, with this recipe cutting gobs of fat and cheese, it makes a great candidate for weeknight cooking. You'll be surprised that the trick is using a butter and flour roux to provide the same mouth feel as thickened heavy cream. To help speed up this recipe, prepare the sauce while bringing the water to a boil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. I sometimes use a ladle, fill each of four serving bowls with about 1/2 boiling water and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until foaming. Whisk in the flour until mixture is smooth and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, half-and-half, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Discard garlic, stir in Parmesan and remove from heat.
- 4Stir pasta and remaining salt into the boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- 6Return sauce to low heat, add 1/3 cup pasta water and the cooked pasta. Toss until evenly coated. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Add more water as needed to thin sauce to desired consistency and adjust seasonings.
- 7Working quickly, empty the water from the warmed bowls and fill with pasta. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dreamy Low-Fat Fettuccine Alfredo
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.1
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 425.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 19.2 g