Recipe by Zipadedoda
This is a great moist cake with a delicious orange taste. it's another one I got from the local paper. Made a great hit at Christmas. Sorry about the problems some had. I hadn't made this for awhile & didn't remember any problems. I made it again & the solution is do not thaw the cool whip. I used almost 12 oz. & just cut it into the other ingredients. It stayed together enough to frost & get in the fridge. I will change the amount. I thought I had put 8 or more. I think 12 oz would be much better.
Top Review by yzdancer
Try this frosting instead:<br/>Mix 1 box Vanilla instant pudding mix, 1 cup cold milk, 1 package dry orange Jello and 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring. Beat by hand with a whisk until thickened. Fold in 1 tub Cool Whip. Frost the cake with this pudding mixture.
- 1 (18 ounce) box orange cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box orange gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (or more)
- 1 (2 ounce) package shredded coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: Blend all ingredients& pour in 2 9" greased& floured pans.
- Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes.
- When cool slice each layer to make 4 layers.
- Frosting: Combine sour cream& coconut,if used[I don't].
- In separate bowl mix sugar& orange juice til disolved.
- Combine with sour cream.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Spread between each layer& remaining on top.