Recipe by carolinajen4
The flavors of this dish take me straight to the islands. You can sub the chicken pieces for chicken breast to lower the fat content. Free-range, organic chicken is all I will cook with, giving much better flavor without all of the junk.
Top Review by princessbride029
So sorry to mess up your stars, but we just didn't find this exciting at all. In fact, I'm questioning whether I could have done something wrong! It wasn't sweet at all, and although the rice had a mildly spicy flavor, we found the chicken completely bland. The only thing I changed was to leave out the nuts, as my hubby doesn't like them. Thanks anyway for sharing the recipe! We won't be trying this one again.
- 4 lbs chicken pieces (give or take)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 green onions, chopped diagonally
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- fresh pineapple (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Brown chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes on each side. Removed chicken from skillet and drain, reserving 1 tablespoons of drippings in skillet.
- Add butter and melt, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet; add onion and saute a few minutes. Add the rice and saute about 4 minutes; add garlic and saute about 1 more minute. Stir in the broth, coconut milk, pineapple juice and crushed red pepper. Return chicken to skillet. Sprinkle the rest of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle with the green onions and nuts. Garnish, if desired.