Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is called a cake but it is actually squares. From "Company's Coming for Christmas" by Jean Pare.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (11 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup glace cherries, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- To make the bottom layer, mix the flour and sugar together.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Pack into an ungreased 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- To make the top layer, stir all five ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spoon over the bottom layer and spread.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until set and golden in colour.