Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
a sweet, rich bar my grandmother always gave away at christmas
- 18 whole graham wafers (approx.)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup crushed graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied cherry
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cream (approx.)
- finely-chopped walnuts
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Line the bottom with half of the graham wafers, cutting an extra wafer to fill in spaces if necessary.
- Combine brown sugar, ½ cup butter and milk in saucepan.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and add in graham wafer crumbs, nuts, coconut and cherries immediatly.
- Spoon over graham wafers in pan while hot.
- Top with remaining graham wafers, cutting and extra wafer to fill spaces if necessary.
- Press them down firmly.
- Combine icing sugar, 2 tablespoons.
- butter, almond extract, vanilla and enough cream to make it a thick icing that is easy to spread.
- Ice top of squares and sprinkle with finely-chopped walnuts.
- let stand overnite.
- Cut into squares to serve.