Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick, easy very tasty meal. This is one of my own concoctions. Everyone that has tasted it has loved it.
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (or left over roast chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 9.85 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml thyme
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil (for frying)
- 500 ml milk
- 250 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 14.79 ml flour
- 14.79 ml butter
- Brown the Onions, using the olive oil.
- Add the diced chicken pieces, season with the Paprika, Thyme and Garlic while frying.
- Prepare whatever sort of Pasta you like (I use Penne for this one).
- The Microwave method for cheese sauce can be very tricky. I've messed it up enough times over the years. You'll know it's not right by the way the texture. As yet I haven't found a sure fire way of stopping this from happening, it just requires being watched, much like stove top cheese sauce I guess.
- Using a deep dish approx 15 cm in diameter, place the butter in the dish and Microwave on High for 30-45 seconds.
- Should be melted when removed.
- Add Flour and combine.
- Add the milk (DON'T MIX YET, it goes lumpy if you mix it at this point).
- These times are only a guide. Be sure not to let the sauce boil for more than a few seconds. The texture may become a bit grainy if it boils for to long.
- Microwave on High for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and mix.
- Microwave on High for another 2 Minutes.
- Remove occasionally to mix and check thickness.
- Alternatively you can prepare your cheese sauce using the stove top method.
- For this recipe you want the sauce to be a bit runny as it will be added to the Chicken and left to simmer for 5-10 minute.
- A tasty variation is adding Chopped Green Peppers.
- Add them while seasoning you don't want them to get soft.
- I'm sure that Mushrooms could be added to this recipe.
- Fry them up and add them just before combining the sauce with the Chicken and onions.
I used a combination of Swiss and cheddar for this dish (I used what I had on hand). I thought it was very easy and very good. I had never had Chicken a la King before, so I didn't exactly know what to think. My sauce came out thick, but I did use a lot of cheese (my husband always wants extra). I also added a tsp of garlic powder in addition to the fresh garlic cloves and a tsp of black pepper. The flour and butter part worked out very well, which always surprises me....I am usually good at messing that part up. Thank you Drastico!!!!
Tried this recipe the other day and I have to give it the thumbs up. The sauce turned out perfect(probably down to the fact that I used SCOTTISH chedder) which surprised me. I added some black pepper and mixed herbs. I can see this becoming a big favourite with my family. Thanks
I just made this and I used a mixture of cheeses (parmesan, romano and something else, donno what!) and it was great! Thick, rich, and delicious!