This is a potato and spinach soup that is a modification of two recipes here on 'Zaar: # 5024 and #51449. I liked some of both soups, but didn't want either as they were, so I fiddled with both to make my own. DH and I were talking about the soup I said, "Our kids would have hated it...'It's GREEN!'" He said, "That's because it's got dragonscales in it!" and so the soup finally got a decent name. (But it is really green, great for St. Paddy's Day and....)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the onion, celery, and shallot. (You can do this ahead.) Peel the potatoes, cut them in 1/2 lengthwise and slice them thickly. (Don't do this until you're ready to make the soup now or the potatoes will blacken.).
- 2Put olive oil into stew pot, heat until hot but not smoking. Add chopped onion, celery, and shallot. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Remove sautéed vegetables to a medium bowl. Put the water and the potatoes in the stew pot (the olive oil and few vegetable bits still in the pot won't hurt anything). Boil 15 minutes or until a fork inserted into the potato slices breaks them apart, as with a baked potato.
- 3While the potatoes boil, wash the spinach* and grate the cheese.
- 4Re-add the sautéed vegetables to the potatoes and water, boil 5 minutes more.
- 5Add the spinach, boil 5 more minutes.
- 6Remove from heat. Use a soup ladle to remove about 2C of the vegetables from the stew pot into the bowl. Liquefy or blend the remaining vegetables and liquid. Put the whole vegetables back into the pot. Add the worcestershire sauce, stir to blend. Serve with about 1/4C grated cheese on each serving.
- 7*I used a stick blender to liquefy the soup, I left the stems on. If you don't have a stick blender or are unsure if you can blend the soup with the stems, remove them when you wash the spinach. Or, use baby spinach and it shouldn't be a problem.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dragonscale Soup (Aka Green Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.1
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 678.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 13.6 g