Recipe by Baby Kato
These delicious, tender biscuits have alot of flavour and a little heat. They are wonderful with any meal. Seriously, try them...you'll see.
Top Review by Halcyon Eve
WOW! These little slabs were incredible! All three of us loved them--even my 5yo DS! The jalapeno I used was not very hot, so the final product wasn't all that hot--but it was chock-full of fabulous flavor! It wasn't much more difficult to make than biscuits, although I did have a bit of trouble working the cheese mixture into the dough (it kneaded in pretty nicely, though). The three of us ate about half the batch--we just couldn't stop! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Baby Kato--DH has already told me this will be a frequent request! Made for Market tag game.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup old nippy cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for sprinkling)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in 2 tbsps of warm water.
- Set aside.
- In large bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic powder and salt.
- Cut in butter, until well blended.
- Next, lightly stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Now add the shredded cheese, finely chopped onions and minced peppers.
- Beat well.
- On a lightly floured board knead until a smooth dough forms. If you need to add more flour, please do so (1/2 cup).
- Then roll dough 1/2 thick and cut into two inch squares.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Finally, sprinkle with paprika and dried thyme.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown.