Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A vegetarian version of Dragon Rolls using tofu instead of eel, and serving it up in a bowl. I came up with this for Dinner tonight and was so happy with it I decided Id post it. This is my first recipe post on Zaar! Hope some of you like it!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 serving firm tofu (frozen and defrosted, as much water squeezed out as possible)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 medium avocado
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet nori (I use the hand roll size )
- 3⁄4 cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce (or use my quick one below)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Cut tofu into thin slices. Layer tofu and half of the teriyaki sauce in a small bowl. Let marinate for 1 hour or longer.
- Meanwhile cook rice according to package directions.
- Cut cucumber into thin sticks and slice avocado as thinly as possible. Sprinkle salt over avocado slices.
- When your tofu is ready turn your skillet on Med - Med Low. Add tofu slices and heat on each side for about 2 - 3 minutes. Heat remaining teriyaki sauce as well in a small saucepan.
- In a shallow bowl put about 1/3 of your rice. Then a layer of torn up nori. A layer of rice, then add your cucumber sticks. Add remaining rice. Cover with your avocados. Throw a couple more pieces of torn up nori on. Then top with your warm tofu slices and a couple teaspoons or warm sauce. Add some sesame seeds if you have them.
- Quick Teriyaki Sauce directions:.
- Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch into 1/8 cup water till smooth.
- In a small saucepan on Med - Med High combine 1/2 cup water, 1/8 cup soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 3 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- When mix starts to bubble add the cornstarch mix. Stir till thick.
- That's it!